Guidelines for the Release of Children’s Records
The purpose of these guidelines are to provide guidance on the release of child records which was enacted into law July 1, 2009. Section 39.00145, F.S. prescribes the process for releasing case records of children. Key components of the legislation include:
• maintenance of complete and accurate records
• minimum standards for record content
• individuals authorized to request and receive the record
• provision of record at no cost to certain individuals
• exemptions for releasing specific information
The law is specifically intended to be responsive to children currently in, or formerly in the Department’s care and their need to explore and maintain connections with their past. It is anticipated that these guidelines will assist the Department, Community-Based Care Lead Agencies, and provider staff in achieving that outcome.